About the Permanent Mission
History of the Permanent Mission of Thailand to the United Nations, New York
Permanent Mission of Thailand to the United Nations was established in 1946.
After the Security Council adopted the resolution taking note of unanimous approval by the UN members on 12 December and recommended the GA to admit Siam to membership in United Nations, Siam became the 55th member of the UN on 15th December 1946. Thailand was still officially known as “Siam” by the time she joined the UN.
Joining United Nations was the first engagement to International Organization in Thai history. Mission of Thailand to the UN in New York was also the first office
to be responsible of multilateral diplomacy.
H.R.H. Prince Wan Waithayakorn was the first Permanent Representative to the UN. H.R.H. established the office of the Permanent Mission of Thailand on East
82nd street in the Upper East Side area. Until 1980, the 7-storey building was the office of the Permanent Mission and the residence of the Permanent Representative.
In 1980, H.E. Kasemsri relocated the Permanent Mission to the Armenian Church on 2nd Avenue between 33rd and 34th street. The attached building Of the Armenian Church was the Headquarter of the Permanent Mission for 9 years.
Due to the expansion of work and engagement with the United Nations, H.E. Pibulsonggram relocated the mission to the 8-storey building on East 52nd street. Nowadays, the 351 East 52nd street building is still home to the Permanent Mission of Thailand and to the Consulate-General of Thailand in New York. Meanwhile, the building on 82nd street, the first office of the Permanent Mission, is the residence of the Permanent Representatives until today.